In general, a makerspace is a community center with tools and resources for creating just about anything. There are many different kinds of makerspaces throughout the world. Some are more focused on computers and electronics while others are more about arts and crafts. Many makerspaces, however, are more generic in nature and cater to many types of making. The one thing they all have in common is they all promote an open environment where people can come together to work on projects, learn new skills, and meet new people who share their interests.
As we all know, the Greater Houston Area is very ‘great’ in size. It’s got everything but you’ll drive 30 minutes to get to anything. Luckily, makerspaces have been popping up all over town, so chances are there is one near you. If you live on the west side, that’s where we come in. Located just north of Downtown Katy, we are the Katy Makerspace.
Our makerspace caters to all creators, tinkerers, inventors, hackers, and makers. There are several work areas and many specialized tools available. Here is a summary of what we currently have to offer:
- Basic Table Tools – Band Saw, Drill Press, Sander, etc.
- Cordless Power Tools – Drill, Jigsaw, Sander, etc.
- Standard Hand Tools – Screwdrivers, Wrenches, Hammers, etc.
- Measuring Tools – Tape, Levels, Right-Angles, etc.
- Community Scrap Pile – extra wood, materials, and hardware left over from other member projects available to everyone.
- Soldering Station
- Standard electronics tools – strippers, crimpers, etc.
- Community Scrap Pile – extra connectors, pieces or wire, and components left over from other member projects available to everyone.
- Computer Lab
- 4 Workstations each with Dual 19” Screens
- Ceiling Mounted Projector
- Multiple White Boards throughout space
- Large collection of old server/networking equipment for testing or salvaging parts
- CNC/3D Printing
- 2’ x 4’ blackToe CNC Router – thanks to BuildYourCNC.com
- Makerbot Replicator with Dual Extruders – thanks to Ross Andrews
More to come! We are just getting started and are always trying to grow. We will be continuously adding more tools and resources and our current location has room for expansion so it can only get better!